My Guidelines for Picking What to Wear
So you booked a photo session… what now? Picking what to wear for your photos can be a daunting task. By now I know what works and what doesn’t so I’ve got some tips for you!
Before I go over my guidelines I want you to know that what is most important is that you feel like yourself! My guidelines are just to help insure you love your final images as much as possible. I don’t want you to look back and think “why did I wear that??” I want you to look at your photos and think “DANG! We look GOOD and so in love!”
If you’re not comfortable in your clothes, you are going to look pretty uncomfortable in all of the photos. Wear what you feel comfortable in.
Your favorite jeans and sweater feels so cozy and intimate. If you have a favorite t-shirt and it makes you feel comfortable, wear it! You can’t be too casual in my opinion. As you pick out your outfits think about how you want the final images to feel.
2. NEUTRAL COLORS ARE YOUR FRIEND
Neutral colors are your friend. Not just grey and cream (mustard yellow, rusty red, forest green and most shades of blue). Just avoid florescent distracting colors and you will be doing just fine!
DO coordinate. DON’T match. Please don’t show up wearing the exact same shade of green (you might end up looking like one green blob) or white button down shirts and blue jeans (like your middle school family beach pictures).
Overall, you just don't want the center of attention to be your clothing, by picking more neutral colors and subtle patterns the attention stays on the emotion and love between you and your partner. Neutrals also compliment nature, which is mostly where we will be shooting.
3. ROMANTIC VIBES WITH LIGHT & MOVEMENT
A gorgeous dress flowing in the wind or catching the light just right can feel so romantic. Try picking clothing or accessories that can show movement because it adds this special feeling and life to the photos and looks amazing!
4. SHOW YOUR PERSONALITY
Okay, so although I am a huge The Office fan I would usually say a Dunder-Mifflin t-shirt is a no go. BUT… it work for this session. I personally know Austin and can say that his t-shirt choice accurately shows his personality, so I’m not mad about it.
Just sayin, it’s okay to break “the rules” because they are your photos and your memories. I love to accurately portray a time in my clients lives. And this session just woulden’t have been the same if he was wearing a nice button down.
So go ahead, break the rules. But if in doubt its okay to ask me if I think it will work. ;)
5. LET’S TALK PATTERNS AND TEXURE
So you want to spice things up without distractions. I’m with you! Just try to avoid big loud and bold patterns. They are distracting and draw attention away from the emotion. Subtle patterns or flannel always look killer on camera. Add interest by choosing clothing with different texture (lace, crochet, knits ect.)
And remember to avoid combining too many patterns between the two of you (ie. don’t have your significant other wear a plaid shirt and you wear a bold contrasting floral patterned dress).
Keep in mind that occasionally breaking the rules works. I’m no fashion expert, so if your feeling it, you do you.
See, that wasn’t so hard, was it?
If you are still in doubt just bring some options and we can choose together or shoot be a text of what you are thinking. I’m always happy to help! This way I can make sure the outfits compliment the environment, weather and mood you want so that the focus is on you two, not on any distractions, which yes, can be your outfits. Just follow these guidelines and you’ll be looking hotter than Nick Jonas & Priyanka Chopra.
If you have anymore questions, don’t hesitate to let me know!
Sarandy Westfall is an adventurous wedding, elopement and couples photographer. She loves photographing super-in-love-couples in beautiful locations. Golden hour glow is what she lives for. Her style is care-free, fun and authentic. She strives to capture real moments of love between the couples she photographs.
CONNECT WITH SARANDY ON INSTAGRAM @SARANDYWESTFALL_PHOTO
- Feb 13, 2019 2018 Round Up Feb 13, 2019
- Jul 25, 2018 Arkansas Adventure Photos | Summer Session Jul 25, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 J + E - Summer Time in Arkansas Jun 13, 2018
- May 1, 2018 Glowy Sunset Couples Sessions | River Valley Arkansas May 1, 2018
- Sep 16, 2019 Oahu Hawaii | Sunset at Ma’ili Beach Sep 16, 2019
- Jan 5, 2019 Pololu Valley Adventure | Ryan + Corinne | Big Island, Hawaii Jan 5, 2019
- May 21, 2018 Traveling the Pacific Northwest May 21, 2018
- Jan 17, 2018 Hawaii Adventure Engagement Session - Hanalei, HI Jan 17, 2018
- Aug 5, 2019 NOTUS Farmhouse | Romantic Boho Wedding Aug 5, 2019
- Jul 11, 2019 Missouri Farm Wedding | Kristen & Lyal Jul 11, 2019
- Jun 10, 2019 Meredith & Skyler | The Loft at Stone Oak Wedding Jun 10, 2019
- May 9, 2019 Arkansas Boho Elopement | Styled Shoot May 9, 2019
- Apr 25, 2019 Sweet Spring Mount Magazine Wedding Apr 25, 2019
- Apr 10, 2019 Botanical Gardens of the Ozarks | Sweet Spring Wedding Apr 10, 2019
- Mar 16, 2019 Boho Sunset Elopement | Hillbrook Farms Mar 16, 2019
- Jan 5, 2019 Megan + Matt | Autumn Mt. Magazine Wedding Jan 5, 2019
- Dec 5, 2018 Boho Sunset Wedding | Northwest Arkansas Dec 5, 2018
- Sep 4, 2018 The Curry Wedding at The Loft at Stone Oak | Greenwood, Arkansas Sep 4, 2018
- Jul 9, 2018 Mildred B. Cooper Memorial Chapel | Bentonville, Arkansas Wedding Jul 9, 2018
- Jul 3, 2018 Kindred North Styled Shoot - Bentonville Arkansas Jul 3, 2018